Children's Formation - Growing in Faith Together
Children’s Christian Formation Sessions
Our children in first through fifth grades are invited to experience the Gospel message through proclamation of the Word and faith sharing experiences in the classroom setting.
The following catechetical principles shape our program:
- Conversion is at the heart of all catechetical efforts, we strive to form disciples who want to follow in Jesus’ footsteps.
- Belief in the importance of life-long catechesis is promoted through interesting and inspiring stories of faith and including information for parents
- Recognition of the call to all the Baptized to hand on faith is reflected in a large number of volunteers and the efforts for education for parents.
To do this we multiple sources of Catholic wisdom and experience:
- SCRIPTURE, which in integrated into the Alive in Christ series and used for instruction, reflection, sharing and prayer.
- DOCTRINE is used to help students, catechists and families appreciate the Church’s teachings as they are applied to our daily lives.
- FEASTS and SEASONS of the Church are celebrated with music, prayer and ritual actions that draw children into the liturgical life of the Church.
We are using Loyola Press’s God Loves Us program for kindergarten. This delightful program recognizes that young children have a particular readiness to learn about God. Integrating Scripture and doctrine in each lesson, the materials and catechists relate the richness of our Catholic faith to the child’s everyday life.
For children in the sacrament preparation years, grades 1-3, we use Alive in Christ by Our Sunday Visitor Publishing Co, to provide a solid foundation of Scripture and Tradition, a rich diversity of prayer, and a sequence of activities that are developmentally appropriate.
- CUSTOMS and CELEBRATIONS are included into the core curriculum to make the Call to Faith program our own.
- CATHOLIC SOCIAL TEACHING is directly addressed in the “Faith in Action” section of each lesson. Age appropriate lessons correlate the scripture and doctrine with key Catholic Social Teaching themes.
Children preparing for sacraments have additional preparation materials for completion at home. For sacrament information click here. Sacraments preparation Information
Grade 4 - 5
Because the majority of children in Grades 4 & 5 have recently celebrated Confirmation and First Communion, we present their faith formation in terms of becoming more committed disciples. This is done using a variety of Bible-based activities (games, quizzes, skits, and other fun,) along with the Be My Disciples by RCL Benziger. Children in these grades use a variety of methods to enhance their faith formation. From Old and New Testament stories we dive into alternative forms of learning that make going deeper into our faith effective and fun. We use on-screen Catholic Quiz Shows, interactive PowerPoint lessons, and action-based learning activities, and more to bring God’s Word to life, then we take it deeper and explore how what they have learned can be an integral part of their daily lives. There is always something new and exciting in each lesson. The focus in the fall is generally stories from the Old Testament; Winter and Spring focuses more on New Testament and Church.
For more information, call the office at 480-595-0883 or Email our Children’s formation coordinator.